As a resident in Virginia who is going to school and trying to pay child support at the same time, you may find yourself in a financial bind. But did you know that there can be ways to lower your child support payments even after the divorce has been finalized?

Findlaw talks about child support modifications, which is when child support payments are modified due to the financial situations of the parent who is paying them, or the parent who is receiving them. For example, if the receiving parent is able to find a better-paying job or marries into a new family, your payments may be reduced. This is because they have a new, larger source of income than they did when payments were first calculated.

Likewise, if you lose a job, remarry and start supporting a new family, or otherwise find yourself in a situation where you’re making less money than you were before, you can petition to modify your child support payments. Attending college could potentially be a reason to look into a reduction, depending on other factors in your life and how much you’re paying for your college classes. Any significant change in financial circumstances since when you first created the plan could be a valid reason to reconsider.

The only way to know if your situation would qualify is to talk to an experienced family law attorney. They know the ins and outs of child support and payment plans. They will be able to guide you through the process of modifying your child support payments.