Family Law Matters in Virginia Require an Experienced Attorney

Lynchburg family law attorney helps you resolve your issues

Family law encompasses a broad range of topics that require the legal know-how of an experienced family and divorce lawyer in Lynchburg, Virginia. At Mark B. Arthur, Attorney at Law, I have been practicing family law in Virginia for more than 14 years. I represent clients in a wide array of family matters that include:

  • Divorce
  • Child custody
  • Spousal support
  • Child support
  • Visitation
  • Paternity
  • Property distribution

Before you try to resolve a family law matter on your own, consult an attorney with experience in this area to ensure your rights are protected.


Divorce in the state is governed by the Virginia Code. Issues that frequently arise during the divorce process include distribution of property, child custody, and spousal and child support. Grounds for divorce include adultery, cruelty, desertion and separation for one year.

Child Custody

Custody is awarded based on what is in the best interest of the child. That is determined by a number of factors, including age and physical and mental health of the child and parents, relationships between child and each parent, ability of each parent to care for the child, relationships with siblings, and any history of abuse, among other factors.

Spousal and child support

Spousal support is usually granted in cases of a long-term marriage, when one spouse has made a career as a homemaker or is disabled and is unable to work, or if there are significant differences in income. If there is no child support agreement in place, the judge determines the amount using a statutory mathematical formula. The formula takes into account both parties' incomes and day care and health care costs.


Parenting time is the term for the amount of time each parent gets to spend with the child. Developing a schedule that works for both parents is always the best option. If an agreement cannot be reached, a judge decides based on various factors.


If you need to prove paternity, you can file a petition stating you are the child's parent and requesting that the court order the person you claim is the child's father to submit to genetic testing to prove it. This petition can be filed with the Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court of the county in which you reside.

Property distribution

Virginia law states that marital assets should be divided based on an equitable distribution of both monetary and non-monetary property. Spouses can come to an agreement on division of property on their own, or a judge can decide in a court hearing.

Call Mark B. Arthur when you need a skilled family law attorney

Mark B. Arthur, Attorney at Law serves Lynchburg City, Amherst, Appomattox, Bedford, Campbell, Pittsylvania, Prince Edward and Nelson Counties. Mark is available Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and in the evening and on weekends by appointment. He can be reached at 434-846-7111 or via the firm's contact us page.